17/01/16

Slow In Motion: Things yet to come.

02. Pressure of Becoming
I'm going to write only one post regarding this forthcomihg "album" because the sound is initially the same on every song.

I've learned that you can get interesting sounds when you put already amped guitars and bass through an VST guitar or bass amp. And in this case (as in most of my mixing work lately) I put the drums through an guitar amp simulation aswell.

Guitars went through an AXP Flextron clean channel with the '90s mode. When I took the "bright"-setting off I got that mud'n'dirt to the sound. After that I tweaked the EQ in such a way that the curve is almost flat (as seen in the following picture).
The EQ on the amp is almost the one I always use; bass halfway and mids full. The only difference here is the highs that I reduced a lot to cut the hiss'n'sparkle. Only real difference between the channels is the tube position which is Post-EQ for one and Pre-EQ for the other.

Bass went through Shattered Glass Audio's Ace which is a Fender Tweed rendition. It gave a nice growl to the bass; it breaks nicely to distortion. There's nothing much to tell here; I just played with it until I was satisfied with the result.

I put drums through AXP's FM25 which is a rendition of Fender's Frontman 25. Not the most aftersought amplifier, but excellent for this purpose. Everything went through the clean channel with individual tweaks to EQ and cabinet.
Bassdrum and toms got 1x10 cab with hard mid-scoop EQ; 10-0-10. Ten seemed to be the key for that. :)
Snare was just flat-out full blast EQ with 2x12 cab.
Hats got some reverb (half-way), not that it can be heard. :P Cab was 1x10 with full mids and treble. Bass I cut completely out.

So that was the initial sound in Modplug Tracker. It clipped somewhat heavily, but since individual tracks did not, I went with it. After I got that done I ported the whole thing to Cubase for final tweaking.

In Cubase I didn't do too much. Since the guitars have somewhat different sound (left being much more muddy) I boosted the level of left guitar 3dB compared to the right one. Bass got some compression to make it even and constant. The only other major thing before master channel was the snare which sounded quite thin on it's own. So I put some EQ with low-mid boost and some sparkle at 2kHz. And after that some compression to bring it up in the mix.

Master channel included a compressor and limiter to push the mix and prevent it from clipping. Dynamically this is a murder, but that's what I was going for; a dirty wall of sound.
I got what I was after, I hope you enjoy.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti