14/01/13

All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

1. Love / The Scene Is Dead

2. Hate

3. Life Goes On

Mixing this has been tricky. The songs themselves are from 2006, but I remade them a little.
Originally they were done "fake stereo"; same samples on left and right with bit of delay added to the right channel. But I found a set I could make these songs real stereo.

At first I was happy; I get real stereo samples to the songs, so I get to release this EP. After I made the first version I heard what was wrong with the samples: They don't sound too good together. The right channel was dominant compared to the left.
So I tried another time by making the left channel louder, but that didn't work too good either. The real problem was eventually that the "new" sampleset I used on the right side had way more bass than the left channel, so it was quite dominant no matter what I did.

So what you hear here is the third and last version of the mix. I made the left channel as loud as possible and then turned both (left and right) channels mono. So no more fancy stereo-mix with this one. This is the only way I came up with to make it sound even.

The sound is quite well... Different I would say. Didn't think it would turn out like that. But it works nicely, although the more crispy distortion bass seems to get buried a little. Somehow the sound feels a little "chorused". 80's goddamnit! :D

To the mixing I used the same presets I've used on about every song I've released in Mikseri. The clean bass has a big bass boost, it sounds really metallic without it. And in the original mixes it was dominant. Now it gets buried nicely, but not too much.

The distortion basses have some mid boost in them. Right channel has a bit more than left. Left channel has more like "full range boost with a small bass-cut".

Drums have the same compressor presets I always use.

The master compressor I used had ceiling put to -0.5dB to avoid clipping and then I compressed the shit out of these songs. And you can see that; there has been a lot of cutting. Still the sound is quite good; everything is audible.

The outro in 'Life Goes On' was a bit surprise to me. The part where there is the most going on (the violin, timpani, strings and piano) left channel got cut quite harsh. I didn't think it was so loud.
Though I don't care since my goal was to "push it to the limit". :D

This EP didn't turn out the way I originally planned but then again I hadn't too much plans when I first started to work on the songs, it came along the way while working. The only goal was to get rid of the "fake stereo" and well, I did. :P
The samples are quite lofi and also quite loud themselves so there wouldn't have been too much dynamics anyway.

A bit under nine minutes of bass attack here. Get blasting your speakers and enjoy!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti