The Seven Deadly Sins... Homunculus!
This one is different in many ways. Musically, mixing- and trackingwise.
First of all, this is the most complex and technical song I've ever done so far. Most of the riffs I don't even know how I came up with. I don't know how happy I am with this song because this is just so different.
All in all this has been a LONG project for me and I'm extremely happy that I got this done. I got to fulfill my little dream of a longer two-piece song (actually two songs in one, but anyways...).
So musically this is something new, the riffs are so strange for me, despite the fact that the second song is a lot more straightforward than the first. Atleast this shows me that occasionally I can think outside of my own box and come up with something different, even in metal. So, atleast from that perspective I can say that I'm satisfied with this.
Trackingwise this is the first song I used a new method with the drums. I came up with it while doing a backing-track for myself to practice with (Mandatory Suicide, I'm planning a cover of it). The second part of the song was the first I implemented the method and then realized that the cymbals of the first one need to be reworked. So, all-in-all this is the first released song with "new" drums.
So what I'm jabbering here about?
This:
Before I had done the drums (and especially the cymbals) so that the cymbal can ring a little after the hit. But while doing the drums for "Mandatory", I realized that it's not how it goes when playing real drums. So I changed it so that every hit of the same cymbal is on the same channel rather than being on two separate channels. I think it's more realistic like that.
Pretty hard to explain with words, so there's couple of pictures to clear this out. You'll see the change when you compare channels 8 & 9 in the pictures.
Mixingwise this was a bugger, a really big one.
The bassdrum was too soft, some kicks (especially single ones) got buried in the mix and they were buried deep. So I had to mix this a bit differently than usual.
At first I did what I always do; get it "right" in the tracker. But then, instead of exporting the whole thing as wav, I exported every track separately.
After that I got all tracks into Podium and applied some EQ on the bassdrum. After that I reworked the levels and exported the song.
The bass is a bit mystery still: is it ok or is it not? The lower register seems to get buried a bit (atleast to my ears). Maybe some compression might help get it fixed, as now the higher register of the bass is really clear. But then again; if getting the lower register up a bit, what it would do to the bassdrum?
I put a lot of mid and high boost to the bassdrum, so it sounds hard and I'm satisfied with it.
I did keep all the tracks, so I can tinker with this one in Podium still... Might do something to the bass, or not. I don't know yet.
Now I have to say that feedback on the bass-issue is more than welcome. I listened this through my monitors (KRK Rockit 5) and a pair of headphones. I'll give it another shot with couple of more headphones and see does it make too much of a difference.
But in the meantime, listen and enjoy. :)
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti