The Mammoth
Ass-kicking sound with dynamics, this is the result I should get every time. The samples are not my favorite, except the guitars. The drums sound good and they're easy to mix, but the sound itself isn't exactly what I prefer. Bass goes pretty much the same, although it's bit harder to mix. Still I think I got it pretty good here.
There's a bit too much bass in this song, but with these samples getting it out would mean some eq:ing on the drums and different eq on the bass. That would mean some alterations to the way I work.
With these samples the song tends to get a bit more bass-oriented. That's what I was after when I started to really mix my songs in 2007. After listening a LOT of music and discovering the old records of Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Queensrÿche, Biohazard and many more I started to realize what "good sound" meant to me.
The real ear-opener for me was Overkill's album 'Horrorscope'. I had never heard sound like that. And to this day it still is an unique sound in my books. So, that became "THE sound" for me and I've tried to get that sound ever since.
The good thing is that I can't achieve it, so I usually end with a clear crispy sound of my own that is my "Horrorscope". :)
The second thing that started to affect really to my mixing was when I really got into Queensrÿche's album 'Warning'. That made me the big fan of the old records and ever since I've listened the oldies with totally different ears. With that album came the appreciation for dynamics and mid-gain sound. It has air in the sound and that's what I fell in love with.
The first time I recall noticing something about the way how music is mixed dates back to 2004 when I was still in the army, "serving" my country. I was listening to Metallica's '...And Justice For All'-album and remember thinking "damn, you can hear every instrument. Even the bass."
Ok, so this got "a little" off-course, but oh well, atleast now you know why I mix today the way I do. Enjoy the ass-kicking from this thrash-piece.
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti