15/09/12

Alive In Autopsy

Alive In Autopsy

Lo-fi, honest and true. Though I maybe should have turned this into mono. At the moment it's just as low quality as possible. And why? Because the samples just aren't anywhere near good quality, though they sound nice.
These are one of those songs that has only bass and drums, I made some songs like that back then. Yeah, back then, so this ain't no fresh piece for sure. :)

It was only later (in 2007 or 2008) when I formed a routine with my tracking. And by routine I mean having a specific channel for each instrument.
So nowadays I know exactly that if I make a "normal" band piece (2 guitars, bass and drums) it takes minimum of 12 channels. 1-2 for the guitars depending what they're doing, 1 for the bass, 2 for the bass drum, 1 for the snare, 3 for the cymbals and 3 for the toms.

This specific way to arrange the instruments give the freedom to assign compressor exclusively to the drums and eq to the guitars and bass. As I'm not a professional and have still limited knowledge, compressor and eq are my main tools.

And all because of that, these oldies are hard to mix, because I didn't have that routine. Some of it was there, the guitars and bass, but drums didn't have it. So there might be toms on the same channel as bass drum, or cymbals on the same channel as snare.
One thing would be reworking the drums to match my routine. But what I've done with these oldies is that I put the same compressor on every drum channel and then listen and tweak it. Trying to find an overall setting that would fit for every part of the drums. Not professional, I know. :D

Another problem with these oldies is the "fake stereo"-thing I used. Meaning that I pan the guitars to left and right and then put a bit of note delay on the right channel. Problem I figured out while listening to these songs on my phone after I mixed them was that the delayed right channel sounded just weird. The "fake stereo"-thing works in tracker though.
So what I did with this song was that I took the left and right channel and mixed them together. Not the best thing to do, but the only one I came up with.

Making good stereo-image would need double samples, and well, I just don't have them in these old songs, so I have to improvise now when mixing them.

Enjoy this short piece of drum'n'bass DM and I'll be back with another song tomorrow.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti